What do we need to remember for a change of owner?
When we deal with a change of owner of a vehicle we own, we have to take into account a series of steps that have to be followed:
Before doing the transaction make sure of:
- No limitation on disposal in the goods registry.
- Have the Circulation tax paid for the previous year.
Having checked these points, there are the following steps:
- Make a private contract between both parties for the sale of the car.
- Be sure that you have this document before delivering the keys to the new owner.
In this document it is important to note the date and time of delivery of the vehicle since fines will continue to be delivered to you until the change of name is completed in the register.
It is also important that within 15 days the purchaser sends you a copy of the circulation permit showing the new owner. If you have not received the copy of this document write to the Traffic Office to communicate the sale.
If on the other hand you are the purchaser, you have to go to Transit to submit the following documents:
- The form for change of ownership of the vehicle filled in.
- The relevant charge of €53.40.
- Residence card, passport or original Spanish driving permit of the purchaser and a copy of the vendor’s.
- Circulation permit of the vehicle.
- Voucher showing payment of Capital Transfer Tax to the Autonomous Community.
- The private contract signed by both parties.
What more must we do?
Other points to bear in mind are:
- You need to bear in mind that all these steps vary if dealing with a transaction between private individuals, self-employed persons or dealers.
- It is also important to know what advantages we have with regard to the age of our vehicle when dealing with these steps. For example, in Catalonia, cars more than 10 years old are exempt from Wealth Tax.
- After 2019 cars more than 20 years old will not be allowed to circulate in the metropolitan area of Barcelona.
If you have any question about the steps you have to take to deal with all these processes, do not hesitate to ask for professional advice. This will help you to ensure that the whole process is right for both parties and that there are no problems in the future. The professionals are accustomed to this type of management and will go through all the steps to ensure that the transaction is successful.
Have you ever had problems in dealing with these steps?
Tell us about your case, give us your comments below, and we will be very pleased to advise you.